Sermons and Classes
LADIES: Let Julie Marcussen know if you will read Christian Woman magazine if she orders one or two to be passed around so that everyone can read it. There are great articles by Christian women in this magazine, but if no one is going to read them, we will not order it.
NEW CLASS ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT: Starting this coming Wednesday, we will begin a study of Abraham. We did a class on Moses at the end of last year, and several people expressed the feeling that it was very helpful and some new ideas and understandings came out of the study. Abraham is another great biblical hero, and we need to understand how he got to be such a pillar of faith, and how our beliefs are tied to him.
TUESDAY NIGHT CLASS AT CLAYTONS': This coming Tuesday will mark the area wide fellowship and Bible study at Claytons'. Christians from all over Michiana gather to study God's Word and to have a time of fellowship and sharing. This class has been going on for over 30 years, and has 20 – 30 people coming. Join us at 7:00 and share in good Christian fellowship, snacks, and Bible study. Just come and bring your Bible, nothing else is needed. If you need directions, see John.
A. Satan — the opposing spirit.I. SATAN SOMETIMES WORKS WITH BRUTE FORCE.
B. There are two types of beings that exist.
1. Time dependent sentient beings like usC. The battle between good and evil involves us.
2. Beings that do not experience time — angels.
1. Ephesians 3:8 – 10D. We become time independent when we die.
2. Ephesians 6:11 – 12
3. Job 1 & 2
1. Revelation 21:3 –E. Evil is a choice of sentient beings.
2. Mark 12:25
F. We need to understand what Satan is, how he works.
A. This can be in the name of religion:II. SATAN MAINLY MIXES BAD SEED WITH GOD'S GOOD SEED.
1. KKKB. Atheism can be used — Peter Singer, Mao, Stalin
C. Does not work, not Satan's M.O.
A. Matthew 13:24 – 30III. SATAN SOWS SECRETLY — "AT NIGHT"
1. Notice bad seed resembles wheat.B. Jesus'solution — Matthew 7:15 – 20
2. The world has a mix — war, beauty, power, food, sex, sensual pleasure, lust, politics, joy, love.
3. Church has a mix too — all the problems.
A. God does what he does in the open.IV. SATAN TRIES TO IMITATE GOD'S WHEAT — HIS GOOD THINGS.
1. Why do we print the sermon in the bulletin, online?B. When we serve Satan we hide it — personal.
2. Food pantry, coats, help for needy
1. Expect to be surprised by evil.
A. False religious teachers are as old as time.V. ULTIMATE ANSWER TO SATAN WILL COME.
B. Jeremiah gives five tests to give preachers.
1. Jeremiah 23:9 – 14 — Morals
2. Jeremiah 23:16 – 17 — Source
3. Jeremiah 23:21 – 22 — Integrity
4. Jeremiah 23:29 – 32 — Whose words
5. Jeremiah 23:33 – 36 — Opinions
A. Matthew 13:29 – 30 — At the end, Satan will lose.
B. Revelation 20:7 – 15
THE BACK PAGE
OPTIONS FOR 2014
Believe it or not, spring is coming. The grass will turn green and the big pile of snow between us and the garage next door will melt and the moles will start tearing up the front yard. One neat thing about spring and summer is that we can get to the building without having to worry about ice and snow making the trip dangerous. Our attendance will go up and we will be working on cleaning the building and getting the flowers planted outside.
With the coming of better weather, we need to plan for the outreaches we are going to make to the community in the coming year. We are not here to keep house and make our property look good. We are here to preach the gospel of Christ to a lost and dying world, and to reach out in a special way to the Dowagiac/Niles/Cassopolis/Eau Claire area. There are a variety of things we can do, and here is a partial list for you to look at, think about, pray about, and talk about.
We will have a congregational meeting soon to talk about our plans.
— John Clayton