DUE to the COVID-19 pandemic
WELCOME TO OUR VISITORS: We are meeting under the trees or on ZOOM in obedience to the requests of medical experts and legal authorities. We ask everyone to keep six feet from others and wear a mask so that no one becomes ill by attending worship. If in the future you wish to participate in ZOOM contact Karl Marcussen at 574-514-1400 and he will help you join us.
SHULTS-LEWIS COMMODITY DRIVE: Shults-Lewis has moved our date to October for them to pick up the commodities to use in their work with children. Our commodities are paper towels and canned fruit. We encourage you to get these items when you can and eventually get them to the building. If no one is there when you come, put them on the pew in the lobby of the auditorium.
GOSPEL MINUTES: The little four-page periodical mailed weekly by David and Clem Thurman is having financial problems due to the virus. They are soliciting donations so they can continue, but our discussions so far have indicated we probably have reached the point where we need to drop the magazine. Very few are taken and the content is not well suited to a mission field congregation like ours. If you have concerns about this, please let them be known. See one of the men you see leading worship.
INTRODUCTION — Last Sunday we studied the words in the Bible in Greek and Hebrew that relate to heaven and hell. We saw that a careful study of the words in the original language concluded:
A. Eternal and infinite are two different things.I. SO WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT HEAVEN AND HELL?
B. Time is eternal but it is not infinite — it will end.
C. The soul is eternal, not infinite — it can die.
D. Rapture is not a future political historical event.
E. Tribulation is not a onetime event.
F. No one is in heaven now.
A. Beyond our understanding — 2 Corinthians 12:1-10.II. THE MESSAGE OF HEAVEN AND HELL IS SPIRITUAL.
B. Sheol (O.T.) and Hades (N.T.) — abode of the dead
1. Sheol used 67 times in O.T. Hades used 6 times.C. Paradise — Luke 23:43 — part of Hades for righteous.
2. Never associated with hell.
D. “Bosom of Abraham” — Jewish synonym for Paradise.
E. Tartarus Greek mythology only used in 2 Peter 2:4.
F. Heaven — the abode of God.
G. Gehenna — Jewish place of fire and destruction.
1. Jewish word for a dump — for garbage.
H. Lake of fire — Jewish lake in Sheol — Revelation 20:14-15
I. Second death — death of body and soul — Matthew 10:28; Revelation 2:11; 20:6, 14.
A. 2 Peter 3:7-12 — the physical universe dissolves.III. HOW DOES GOD JUDGE US? See THE BACK PAGE below.
B. 1 Corinthians 15:44-55 — we are all changed.
C. Mortals cannot even describe heaven — 2 Corinthians 12:1-10.
1. Analogy — describe life after birth to a baby.D. Hell separates us from God and all God gives.
2. Being free of time frees us from all negatives.
1. 2 Thessalonians 1:9 — spiritual death.
2. Worse than any heartbreak
A. List compiled by Douglas Jacoby — 7 left out.
1. These are the things God looks for.B. THE KEY PASSAGE — EPHESIANS 2:8-10!
2. Do you do them all 100%? Read Matthew 25:31-46.
3. Philippians 2:12 — We are to work at them.
1. God wants us all to be saved — 1 Timothy 2:4.
2. God's grace fills in our failures.
3. God knows what he built into us. He has a purpose for us. He molds us, provides for us.
4. THE BACK PAGE below gives us things to work on — to do!
THE BACK PAGE
THE BASIS OF GOD’S RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT
— John Clayton
Our sign by the street!
Sign saying from www.sayingsforchurchsigns.com
Scripture links/references are from BibleGateway.com. Unhighlighted scriptures can be looked up at their website.